The Y's Happily Ever After

November 20, 2011

Primal Mud Run

I know this is long overdue....but nonetheless.....


On 11-5-11 I successfully completed my first Primal Mud Run :)  Why you ask???  My wonderful hubby did the Spartan Race in June and everyone that crossed the finish line was laughing and looked like they had a blast....so I thought.....I wanna do that....hence the Primal Mud Run. 
Driving to the race....didn't expect it to be 39 degrees outside..........it was so freaking cold!!!
 I'm not much of an athlete but for today I was :)
 Yep....that's my number on my forehead!  We had to wear chips to track our times though!!
 
The Team....Kat, Erin, Mark, Adam, Erik, TJ and Moi :)
And we're off.............
First Obstacle.....get over the tall wall.......yes....all the girls needed help :)
 
 See we made it!
Next....flip the large tire four times one direction, four times the other direction
Then the cargo net....that TJ almost to the top :)
I'm not going to lie....I seriously wasn't sure I'd be able to do this....straight up and then straight down!
No seriously....I got this....
See....I made it to the top....now what???  OMG this is high!

 TJ reminding me to go slow!!
 Next we had to run through this dark tunnel!
Then grab a sand bag and run with it!!
The sandbag was HEAVY....so I walked a little.  Now here is where it all went down hill for me :(  You can't see the next obstacle, but we had to walk through a small creek with waist high water while carrying our sandbags.  When we entered the creek, the helper said, "Now there is a spot where the water looks different, there is a big rock there so make sure to go around it!"  Well how was I supposed to focus on the water and my sandbag and just walking through FREEZING cold water.  Needless to say, I found the rock....with my shins causing me to drop by sandbag and go under the water.  I was so worried about how much my WET sandbag was going to weigh that I wasn't focused on the pain in my shins.  I met up with TJ, got out of the water to bloody shins with golf ball sized knots!!  SERIOUSLY....in the beginning of the race!  TJ urged me to quit cause it looked pretty bad!  I responded, "Fuck this....I'm finishing!"

 The next water obstacle....seriously people it's 39 degrees outside and you expect me to swim under those water jugs......REALLY....well I had to!!  I can't even explain how cold it was!  It was so hard to stop from semi hyperventilating due the cold long enough to hold my breath to swim under the water barrels.
 See....I made it....barely!  Now we walked because honestly when I started to run, my shins bled more and throbbed with pain!  I think being so cold actually helped with the pain!   We walked through the corn fields, through the creek again, up the steep hill and around the corner to see....
 The giant slip and slide :)  This was by far my favorite part!
 A couple that slides together...stays together!
 At the bottom of this nice slip and slide was....you guessed it...more freezing water to swim out of!!  The rest of the course you couldn't really see from the viewing areas.  We basically had to jump over more walls, climb over and under wooded obstacles, run through tires, climb up and inclined plywood pyramid, slide through big black tubes into more freezing water, run through the muddy track, climb over several hay bails, swing on monkey bars (this I skipped) to the end.......
We made it to the mud pit at the end....lucky for me the barbed wire wasn't too low so I didn't have to get too muddy!
As Kat put it...."The mud model!"
We might have gotten in a small mud fight!  So fun!!!  Honestly I was just happy to be done!!!

I think I can finally run from my hubby....seriously...it's mud so there is no running!!

We made it :) 

Muddy Hubby!

Happy Muddy Couple :)
The muddy, freezing and happy couple!  I have to say that even though we had to walk most of it because of my poor shins...we finished in about an hour and 45 minutes.   The first question people ask me is, "Would you do it again!"  I have to say, "HELL YES!!!"  One condition.....it needs to be a little warmer because the freezing cold water was brutal!!





2 comments:

  1. It sounds like fun when you describe it, but in the back of my mind I question your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun! I'm not in the shape I used to be, but I'm seriously considering the upcoming Primal in two weeks here in NC... Your blog encourages me!

    ReplyDelete